Thursday, May 12, 2005

American Idol and the Hearing Impaired

I need some feedback to determine if people are absolutely stupid or if its just me.

Workplace discussions vary from topic to topic. Sometimes we actually talk about work, but most of the time the focus is on current events, news stories and television. Today, I had the pleasure of discussing one of America's hottest topics - American Idol.

Now, I enjoy a good singing competition as much as the next person, and I stress singing competition. Because that fact is what makes this so interesting.

A coworker of mine was upset that their favorite singer, Anthony Federov, was voted off in such an unfair manner and nothing was done about it. They were upset because the closed captioning that was displayed on television showed the wrong number to call in for. Instead of Anthony, the number for Carrie was displayed.

Sounds unfair, right? Let's go back to what they were so fired up about, closed captioning, as in "closed captioning for the hearing impaired". (Coincidentally, the numbers displayed by the show and given by the host were correct.)

Let me see if I understand this. They were upset because the hearing impaired can't get the right number to vote on a singing competition.

This may be completely politically incorrect, but just how many hearing impaired individuals vote for American Idol? I am wondering. Truthfully. I'm not even trying to be funny.

If you are hearing impaired and you do vote I want to hear from you. How do you determine who is the best? Do you just go by who looks the least stupid? Just curious.

Anyway, I gave my coworker my best "you are a complete idiot look" and walked away.

4 Comments:

Blogger SkippyMom said...

If I commented on every post that made me laugh or that I agreed on with you I would seriously expect a restraining order taped to my door tomorrow.

That said - this was too funny and astute NOT to comment on. It is as simple a deduction as 1+1=2, but they way you present it...too funny....

[I stopped drinking coffee about 10 minutes ago...it isn't safe while reading your blog.]

Thank you again for starting my New Year's off with quite the laugh.

Hugs

8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't like that you think because someone who is hearing impaired or , deaf for that matter, could not vote. Sunday is vibration. Deaf and hearing impaired can feel the song, but if they wanted to vote they would need the correct number. Saying what you said is ignorant. Take a deaf studies course at your local community college, it will prevent you from saying things like this. Deaf/hard of hearing people can do all the Sam etchings that everyone else can do, drive even....lol. Think before you write please this is very offensive to a whole community of people who have had to fight for every thing, right down to the closed captioning on the tv.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sound is vibration not Sunday, I truly hate auto correct....

2:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Auto correct kill me...Sam etchings = same things, this is the last one promise,

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.