Sunday, May 08, 2005

How I Became My Mother

In honor of Mother’s Day, I thought it would be fun to discuss the process that took me from party girl to becoming my mother.

Single until I was 29, I never thought that I would ever, emphasize ever, become like my mother. Now that I have two children I realize that this is an inevitable transformation that every woman who becomes a mother must face, regardless of how long they were childless.

Please follow along as I review 10 things I thought I would never say:

1. No, you cannot have cake for breakfast.

2. Because I’m the mommy, that’s why.

3. Because I said so.

4. Do not use your brother as a step.

5. Stop bouncing the ball off the dog’s head.

6. Do I need to go get your father?

7. Raisins don’t go in your nose!

8. I’ll give you some candy if you’ll just be quiet.

9. You can’t say that word. Only mommies and daddies can say that word.

10. Why is there poop in the tub?

Although, many people may have the chance to say, “why is there poop in the tub?”, if you say it in combination with the other nine you have quite definitely become your mother.

There was a time when my goal was to be the perfect mom, providing my children with quality time and never subjecting them to the horrors that my parents inflicted on me. Oh, the path of good intentions! While I do try, I have realized that candy bribes and cartoons have their place.

So, here’s to you Mom. I hope you have a great Mother’s Day. I know I will.

(The kids are downstairs eating cereal out of the box watching Tarzan.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

Hilarious.

Now that I am teaching my daughter to drive a stick, I find that I have become my Dad. My daughter is, fortunately, too annoyed with herself to notice that I am sitting the passenger's seat with my eyes rolled back in my head, channelling my (still living) father:

1. Clutch. Clutch! CLUTCH!

2. More power. A little more. NOT THAT MUCH!

3. Clutch. Clutch! CLUTCH!

4. You're doing fine.

5. Watch your speed.

6. If you study the tachometer, you're not looking where you're going.

7. Please don't hit the parked car.

8. Please don't hit the oncoming car.

9. First gear...okay, restart it and try again. You're doing fine. It's no big deal.

10. Clutch. Clutch! CLUTCH!

Happy Mother's Day.

~Kurt

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.