Friday, May 06, 2005

The Search for Tommy Adams

From time to time I like to look back on my life and reminisce about the glory days. You know, when you were young and fearless and you just happened to do really, really stupid things? Well, this is one of those stories.

I am originally from South Florida and used to spend an exorborant amount of time in Ft. Lauderdale. Admittedly, most of that time was spent drinking in bars (underage) and hanging out with guys that would make my mother swoon (I can still remember her asking me if her son-in-law was going to be covered in tattoos).

One of my favorite hangouts was Gator's Croc and Roc. I was 19. There was a core group of friends that would get together most every weekend and pretty much drink ourselves silly. Gator's had this great tradition called "Croc Roc Cocktails". Basically, you put your back to the bar, leaned back while looking up and the bartender would come around and pour a bottle of peppermint schnapps into everyone's mouth until it was empty. While this was great fun, it tended to be messy and left one smelling of alcohol.

That night, after getting my portion of the "Croc Roc Cocktail", not failing to also soak my hair in peppermint schnapps, I decided that my friends HippyChick and PreppyGirl (you know who you are) and I were going to go for a ride. I had recently purchased a Toyota 4x4 truck and was ready to see what it could do.

For those of you from Ft. Lauderdale you will know of Holiday Park. For those of you not, let's just say it's pretty much within the city limits and not a secluded place to be breaking the law.

Anyway, upon arriving in said truck, reeking of alcohol, I decided to show off to my friends and do a little four-wheelin'. The rest of the night went something like this:

(Driving off of the road into the grass, downing several bushes and small trees)

PreppyGirl: What the hell are you doing?

Me: A little four-wheelin', baby!

HippyChick: Uh, Sherri....there are lights behind us.

Me: (confidently) Doesn't matter as long as they're not blue lights!

(Coincidentally at approximately the exact moment I uttered the word "lights", blue lights began to flash behind me.)

(The police pull me over and walk to the truck. I decide I will take the bull by the horns and address the officer first - remember I reek of alcohol!)

Me: I am so glad to see you!

Police Officer: Miss, do you realize you were driving through the park? You ran over several bushes back there.

Me: Yes sir, I do. I am really freaked out. Our friend Tommy Adams is really drunk and we were following him home. He just came in here and starting driving all crazy (waving my arms around on "crazy").

HippyChick: (not missing a beat) Yeah he's really drunk. He just took off and wouldn't let anyone drive him home.

PreppyGirl: (picking up on the story) You have to find him, we're really worried.

Police Officer: What is he driving?

Me: He's in a VW Bug.

HippyChick: A white one.

Police Officer: And his name again?

PreppyGirl: Tommy Adams.

Police Officer: (into radio) Yeah, can you look around for a white VW Bug? They say the driver is drunk and came in here.

Police Radio: (after a few minutes) I don't see anyone. He must be gone.

Police Officer: Well, ladies, it looks like your friend is gone. You should be more careful and have a good night.

Me: (not letting a good thing go) We're really worried. Can you please look for him?

HippyChick: Yeah, we're scared he might hurt someone.

Police Officer: Will do. We'll keep an eye out for him. You ladies have a good night and be careful.

Me: (still reeking of alcohol) Ummm....can you tell me how to get back to the road?

Now I don't know if he believed us or just thought we were cute, but the moral I learned is find a story and stick to it.

*I apologize to those of you involved if after all these years I confused the story....many years of drinkin' can do that to a girl!

6 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

okay, first ~ since I can't imagine you would remember Magda as preppy, I have to assume that role belongs to me (???). Out of curiosity what description would you give yourself? We had a great time that night; I remember the story a little different but the basics are there. Of course since we were all wasted it's no wonder we "remember" different versions. Can you even believe we survived that year? Remember that same night (I think it was the same night) Rudy wrote in black magic marker on his leg "f*** me Sherri" I have a picture of it. When we go to Vegas, I'll dig those albums out and we can all relive those "glory days".
later~ shannon

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

No...you are HippyChick. I thought it was Ali that was with us. Forgot is was Magda...oh, well. Anywhoo, definitely need to see the Rudy pics. And definitely need to go to Vegas. Keep me updated when that gets scheduled!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

....and the personal description??? At that time probably, hoClothes :)

2:02 PM  
Blogger princess slea said...

Okay, that makes a lot more sense because I would have called Ali preppy too (or LL Bean). It was for sure Magda with us (though I have NO idea where Ali was ~ probably at the apt getting it on with Paul). I'm still trying to get the Vegas thing nailed down. But Im counting you in.
~shannon

2:18 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

An old shipmate of mine is from that neck of the woods...he used to call it "Fort Liquordale".

I'm sure that the cop, later, had fun bragging to his buddies about driving through the park.

Lucky for you, that cop didn't have SCMODS. (State County Municipal Offender Data System)

~Kurt

5:06 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Simone: Thanks. And feel free to use the "tommy adams" alias. Seems to work everytime!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.