Monday, January 09, 2006

Um....Yeah.....

My boss received a beautiful glossy catalogue from a realtor in Palm Beach, Florida. He is looking to possibly purchase another house. (For those of you who don't know, my boss is worth several 100 million) Being from South Florida, I paged through the catalogue and recognized some of the more prominent homes in the area.

When my boss arrived at work I handed him the catalogue.

"This came for you," I said.

"Oh great, I can't wait to look through it," he replied.

"I took a peek at it. I actually recognized some of the homes from when I lived in Florida."

"Oh did you? Aren't some of them amazing? I just don't know where those people get all their money!" he exclaimed.

So would this be a good time to let my boss know:

- I bought groceries last month with my credit card because I am broke.

- His annual salary, excluding his company profits, is 17.55 times more than mine.

- My last real vacation was in the year 2000.


Probably not.

"Yeah. I just don't know either," I replied. "Some people are just really wealthy."

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Don't some people just seem to be from another planet?

I'm sorry you're broke - I know the feeling! Mine is usually my own fault; I'm terrible at managing my finances. I'm laughing at the very expression: "managing my finances." As if I even know what that means!

1:59 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Conicidentally, I just had a conversation with my boss not five minutes ago about how he can't afford to buy a new car. Hello? He makes way more than twice what I do. I told him I'd just got a new car and he should go for it! - What I didn't tell him was I HAD to buy a new one because I couldn't afford the $900 transmission work my old car needed.

We are paying daycare with our credit cards... come on tax return!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really shouldn't complain, but I will anyway...

Can you believe the disparity between the "haves" and "have nots" in this world? This is not the same place our parents grew up; hard work and education get you squat in this world, while knowing how to sink a basketball into a hoop can earn you several million a year.

And these corporate types that make an 8 figure salary per year? Honestly, it irks me that they can get paid so much while at the same time they lay off 20% of their employees, and cut pensions and benefits.

I remember another time in history where the divide between "obscenely rich" and everyone else was so pronounced. It involved guillotines.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but the pressure's a buildin', and soon that old teapot's gonna whistle. And when it does, I think things are gonna be ugly.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

Next time, before he gets in, poop in the catalog, squash it flat, and leave it in a hard-to-find place in his office.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Sleepless Mama said...

Seriously, some people are just inconsiderate jackholes who don't know any better than to show off in front of people who have less. I could just throttle that man...hmm, I'm hormonal. Maybe I WILL go throttle him for you, and plead insanity.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

I've always found it astonishing that no matter how much anybody makes, they never have enough. Yet we are foolish enough to try to pursue more money in the hopes that will improve our lot in life. The chase runs lives until people learn how to stop running. More money equals the deisre for money. Not to say no meny equals happiness, but I think happiness is found when we learn to enjoy what we have.

4:01 PM  
Blogger ddsprncs said...

People who have always had money have no clue!
I love it when I need auto work or home repairs and "well Meaning" people say "just call your guy" ahhhh... My guy was my dad our whole lives he could fix anything because there was never money for "a guy". Then I married an idiot who can not even change a light bulb, really! He broke our chandiler trying too replace a bulb!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.