Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Alternate Life of Christmas Toys

I have always believed that toys have an alternate life when humans are not around. When the movie Toy Story came out I went, “I knew it!” I guess maybe that’s why I never liked dolls. I was always convinced that they would come to life while I was sleeping and kill me.

Due to this “alternate life” of toys I am concerned about my kids and their Christmas presents. It has to be very difficult on the toys all being thrust into a new environment at the same time. They have to struggle to develop a hierarchy of power. They have to decide who is in charge and who will police the wayward toys. In fact, I think trouble may already be brewing.

Charlie, my 3 year old, asked for two Power Rangers Megazords which, of course, he got. The large Megazord seems pretty complacent, but I am not so sure about the small one. It is always lighting up with the siren blaring and it is forever losing pieces. I am not entirely convinced that this is by accident. The small Megazord may be a bad seed reminiscent of the Chucky movies. I found Charlie lying in bed Christmas night, tossing and turning, talking in his sleep, “No Mommy! That’s not how I like the Megazord! Put it together the other way!” Scary, huh?

Then there is the case of the missing Watchful Woodsman. Matthew, my 18 month old, loves Little People. He received the Watchful Woodsman set this year. I think the small Megazord may have taken him out because he has already gone missing. I suppose when you are trying to put yourself in power you should take out your most dangerous adversaries first. And I suppose the Watchful Woodsman would qualify. I mean, he does slay dragons.

In hopes to reunite our new Christmas toy family, Charlie and I sent Rodney Copperbottom (Robots movie) in search of the woodsman, but Rodney returned without his armor and missing part of his right arm. I’m not really sure how the fight went down or who was involved, but I think small Megazord is slowly bringing toys over to the dark side.

So far, all the little people animals are accounted for. I am going to keep a close watch on them because I fear for their safety. I think the small Megazord’s bloodlust is not even close to an end. Matthew and I constructed a corral made of all the little people fences that came with multiple sets. We have placed the stomping Brontosaurus and the Red Mystic Ranger on watch. Hopefully they will be able to keep the evil at bay.

Good luck to you all with your new Christmas toys. I hope they can coexist peacefully. For now, my house is on edge. But hopefully things will settle in soon. I’ll keep you updated on the Watchful Woodsman. Keep him in your prayers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rainypete said...

You just keep an eye on those 'zords to ensure their bloodlust doesn't extend beyond a flair for the plastic and it should all work out in the end.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I am CRACKIN up over here! You have inspired me to share a tale... which of course I will do on my blog. Eventually. Keep me posted on the Woodsman. Sounds like he was snoozing on the job.

11:17 AM  
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I know what you mean about dolls coming to life and taking over! I had one that was pure evil, so bad I had to "destroy her". I cut off her lovely blonde hair, riped her head off then limb by limb... come to think of it, it was pretty gruesome for a 4 year old. After that manic episode, all my dolls behaved themselves. Gotta show them who's boss!

Happy New Year, Sherri!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.