Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Oh, the Irony!

It's funny how you say something, not realizing that it's about to happen.

Remember my post from the other day, when I just happened to mention that I am broke and bought groceries with my credit card?

(Let me first preface this post with a disclaimer: I am not really "broke". I make enough money to pay my bills with a little left over for the occasional dinner out, etc. The problem is that I usually schedule my bills to be paid before all the money is actually in my account usually rendering me "broke" for two or three days waiting for my windfall. With that said, back to the post...)

Well, I went to the grocery store at lunch today to buy a few things. My husband is in Virginia at a class and I am already worn out from the kids and couldn't bear to drag the two of them around the store after a long day at work. I get to the check-out counter, glance behind me and who do I see? A guy from work.

He tries to be funny and puts his soup and sandwich with my groceries as if I'm going to buy it. Ha. Ha. We exchange pleasantries and then stand there as my items are rung up.

"Ma'am, your card is declined," the clerk said to me.

Huh???? I just got money out yesterday and had over $400.00.

Well, apparently my husband had scheduled a few bills that all but wiped out the account. I was penniless. And I was standing at the check out. With all my groceries already bagged. With someone I work with standing behind me.

Now I had two options. I could use one of my credit cards, but I wasn't sure which one had any money on it. I was scared to risk having another card declined. I don't think I could bear it. So I opted for my other option...

"I'm so sorry," I apologized to the clerk. "I guess you'll have to put it all back."

As the words are barely out of my mouth my co-worker reaches in front of me and swipes his bank card and pays for my groceries. I just looked at him in disbelief. I know I should be appreciative, but I was EMBARRASSED! I suppose it would have been more embarrasing to walk out of the store with my groceries still sitting in the cart, but at least none of those people know me.

So I went back to work, tail between my legs, thankful to Brad that my kids have their fruit snacks and more importantly, I can snack on my Double Dutch Chocolate Muffin.

Oh yeah, and I owe him $65.00.

So now, as we review, the words of my past haunt me. 'I bought groceries with my credit card.'

I was too poor to do even that.

I bought groceries with someone else's credit card!

11 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

You could view it as a blessing in disguise. Did you ever see "Terms of Endearment", when the banker who turned down their home loan wound up paying for her groceries? One of the sweetest moments in the movie, not that I'm suggesting you should have an affair with your co-worker. :-)

Seriously - how providential that he was there at that moment. Embarrassing for you, but SO unlikely that someone would be so kind, even someone you kind of know. Truly a nice guy. (Or just in a hurry!) :-) I'm betting on nice.

Hang in there this month!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutley priceless.

5:10 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

My faith in human beings has been momentarily restored.

9:02 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Awww. That is so nice but I'm like you, I would've been mortified.

Well gotta go, I need to activate our new credit cards so I can pay bills.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was awfully nice of him...But yeah, I would be big time embarrassed...Next time you're in a check out line and he is there, he will probably opt for another line, haha.

On the plus side...It restores your faith in human kindness.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Sleepless Mama said...

I would probably have been every bit as embarrassed and grateful as you did. I'm glad you're able to find the humor in the situation, though.

Sometimes angels are the people we already know.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart. It's really hard when you are feeling a mixture of embarrassment and gratitude, but I'd opt for the gratitude and be thankful that our angels are truly among us.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I know you were embarrassed, but wow! What a great guy.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Sherri,

Having been in your shoes, I was fully prepared to be fully depressed by your post.

But it seems that you do have angels looking out for you.

And, apparently, some of them read your blog. Thanks to all for seeing gifts hidden in the embarrassment.

Sherri, you're a very lucky woman.

~Kurt

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a random act of kindness.

Some of us make it a point to do it everyday.

True it usually doesn't cost $65 but if just once a day, you did something nice and unexpected for someone, it creates a ripple effect.

Throw a rope back Sherri. Remember how nice it was to see your children eating their fruit snacks. Do the same for someone else. Preferrably a stranger.

10:17 PM  
Blogger ddsprncs said...

That is a sweet story. Yes, I would have felt like a loser but; in the big picture heavenly father gives us all learning opportunites and this one may have been more for him than you and looks as though he passed. Nice site, I found you through Tam.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.