Friday, November 18, 2005

How Far to Hell?

I have uttered the phrase “I’m in hell” or “This is hell” many times, but never did it seem more appropriate than when my husband and I were moving to Pennsylvania.

It has been almost two years since we drove from Mississippi to Pennsylvania. It took us three days to get there, mainly because I was 7 months pregnant and couldn’t drive for very long.

My husband was driving his truck and towing a U-haul trailer. Because of this, we decided we would forgo the shorter mountainous route and would travel East until we reached I-95 and then go North to our new home.

I was driving our van with our then two year old in the back and my ever-growing belly in front of me. To explain how difficult this was for me I must bore you with a few pregnancy details. I am NOT a good pregnant person. I tend to have many complications ranging from pre-eclampsia to gestational diabetes. When I drove my feet would swell and I would have unbelievably painful leg cramps.

We decided that we would only drive six hours a day for three days to make the trip easier on me, three hours in the morning and three hours in the evening. We would stop early, have a nice dinner and retire to a comfortable hotel. Even with all this planning the trip was miserable and painful.

As in the beginning of every long trip, when I pulled out of my mother’s driveway in Mississippi I set the trip odometer in my van. I like to gauge how far I’ve gone and how far I have left to go by it.

Sometime during the second day of our trip I was quickly fading. I knew I had to continue driving but I didn’t want to. My husband and I were using walkie talkies to communicate with each other because we weren’t getting new cell phones until we got to Pennsylvania.

“Honey, I am so tired,” I complained.

“I know you are, but you have to just keep going. We will stop soon, okay?” my husband asked.

“Okay. I can do it.”

So keep going I did, but not with out some serious mental complaining, and cursing, and asking God, WHY???

About that time we took a detour through a quiet country road. We were somewhere in either North Carolina or Virginia. The road was very windy and had a deep gully on the left side and a very high hill to the right. As we rounded a bend I noticed an old gas station in the gully. The paint was peeling and the walls looked as if a strong wind would knock them down. I then noticed the old sign. It had been a Shell gas station but the “S” was gone and the sign, towering high about the old station in big red letters read, “HELL”. For some reason I then looked down at my trip odometer and the mileage read 666. I shit you not. I walkie talkied my husband.

“Honey, apparently I am in hell,” I said.

“Complaining again?” he asked.

When I explained the details of my comment he didn’t believe me.

“Your odometer is NOT 666,” he said.

“It is. I swear! I was so freaked out I started praying,” I exclaimed.

True story.

(So mom, if you are reading this, just FYI – it is exactly 666 miles from your house to HELL.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lone Ranger said...

Was it worth it?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

creepy.....(and also quite funny - in both the ha- ha and the odd way)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

See, and I always figured my mom's house WAS Hell. I guess this is where our similarities end, Sherri. (sob)
:-)

(And does your mom read your blog?)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Yeah. Mom, Dad and both sisters read the blog. Kinda limits the material I can use. Hard to vent the deep, dark family secrets! Oh well.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the coolest story I've heard in a long time. Wow.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

amazing story. and here all this time i thought "hell" was my desk at work...:)

3:03 PM  
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

If you've been to hell and back, then you must be in heaven now!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a hell michigan and one of my dad's bike clubs (pedal, not motor) bike there and back and they had tshirts made that said 'i've been to hell and back' with a biker on it.

3:29 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

I thought hell was the roach motel where my brother lived (behind the carwash) with his roommate, Mike (who, oddly enough, looked like Jesus Christ). I know you remember that place!

Speaking of the holy spirit... see anymore ghosts over the weekend?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

No, I haven't. But I have thought about it constantly and it has given me an idea for a story. I'll post about it tomorrow.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.