Friday, November 11, 2005

Sick

There is truly nothing worse than having a sick child with the exception of having a sick child in your car, when you can’t stop because you are in heavy traffic, and they just keep getting sick, again and again, over and over, all over themselves, and you can’t stop, and you are still 45 minutes from home.

I picked the boys up from school yesterday. I arrived as usual, with one minute to spare sprinting up the front steps. I ran to the computer at the desk, the girl behind it shouting, “Hurry, hurry!” I clocked the kids out with seconds to spare. If you are late you get charged.

“I just wanted to let you know that Charlie threw up right before you got here. I don’t think he’s sick. He probably just ran around too much and got overheated,” the girl at the front desk tells me.

Charlie has been known to do that, sometimes he just throws up if he’s playing to hard and he tends to get car sick if he plays with toys in the car, so I wasn’t too worried.

“How are you feeling, Charlie?” I asked as I buckled him into his car seat.

“I’m okay, Mommy. I got sick at school.”

“I know baby. I love you.”

“I love you too, Mommy.”

So off we go on our way home. I call my husband to let him know we are on our way and discuss dinner. I tell him about Charlie and just about the time we are determining that he is probably not sick he throws up again.

“Uh oh. He’s getting sick again. I gotta go.” I tell my husband.

At the next stop light I turn on the light in the van and look back at Charlie. Shit. He is COVERED in puke. It is all over him. It’s dripping down his chin, on his clothes and all over the car seat.

“I don’t feel good, Mommy. You have to get home real fast okay?” he says.

It is just so sad and pathetic. Why is it kids are sweetest when they are sick?

“Okay baby. You just sit tight. Mommy will get you home as fast as she can.”

I had to open and close the window the entire way home. The smell was horrible, but it was cold outside and I didn’t want to freeze the kids. I almost got sick myself a few times.

A little closer to home I called my husband.

“How’s Charlie doing?” he asked.

“Let's put it this way.....I’m gonna call you when we pull into our neighborhood. I want you to meet me at the car with a towel and a bucket.”

"Um...okay...." he replies.

When we get home Charlie goes straight to the bathtub. Poor baby. He was sick all night, but seems to be doing better today.

Now it's my turn. I don't feel so good......

8 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

It's a terrible feeling to know your kids are sick and you can't help them. Glad he's feeling better.
You feel sick today? Have you been running around and playing too hard, Sherri?

11:11 AM  
Blogger Yoda said...

:-( Sorry, Sherri.

When my kids were little, I'd see them a weekend at a time (thanks to my...well, we won't go there), and it NEVER FAILED: they'd arrive sick. Daddy's hospital.

I've always told people that we never did cool trips to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm every visit because I didn't want to be THAT KIND OF DAD, but now that I think about it, we stayed home to watch movies because we could go too far from the bathroom.

~Kurt

11:16 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I'm sorry about Charlie! And hope you don't catch whatever it is he's had. It's just that time of year - viruses going around everywhere. And man - puke is awful. I can handle it, can handle being barfed on, whatever. But it's amazing how ONE tiny droplet that gets overlooked, perhaps, in the cleaning process, can pack the most powerful punch a day or so later.

Hope you all have a restful weekend!

12:28 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Uggh... we just had this at my house about two months ago... let's hope matthew doesn't get it too... or worse yet, your hubby. If he's anything like Len, he'll take it the worst.

Icky poo poo.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby -- Charlie AND you. There is nothing like seeing your child feel so terrible and knowing you can't take it away from him. (There's also nothing like trying to get it out of your car...) Good luck, and let's hope it stops before it makes it round to the whole family!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Adam (uber god) said...

You're going to have to have those carpets shampooed, seats pulled out... etc. I played designated driver a few months ago and go puke ALL over my new car... paid $100 to have some detail place go over it with a fine toothed comb and I still get a waft every once in a while.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

We bought a little portable steam cleaner soon after our first kid. Maybe the best kid assesory thing we ever bought. And works for adult messes as well.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

Oh, that is horrific. In a myriad of ways. I hope all is better.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.