Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bleach Humidifier and Serial Killer Update

I meant to post about this last week, but I got sidetracked.

One night last week I went upstairs to bed and thought, “Wow, my husband must have done a load of laundry.” The bleach smell was unbelievably strong. Then I walked into our room…..

Immediately my sinuses began to burn and my eyes began to water. What the hell was it?

My husband came upstairs and I asked him, “Why do I smell bleach so strongly?”

“Oh. I put bleach water in the humidifier to clean it.” It had been running for about an hour.

Now I don’t know if that is the way you are supposed to clean a humidifier, but I think expelling noxious gases into a closed room that you are about to sleep in is probably not a good idea.

“Oh God! I think I’m going to die,” I cough out.

“You’re not going to die.”

“Seriously, honey,” I plead. “You have got to do something about these fumes. I don’t want to die in my sleep.” I know, I’m a little dramatic.

“Okay, fine. I’ll open a window.”

So that is how we ended up sleeping with our windows open in 30 degree weather.

So how do you clean a humidifier? Cause if that’s the way, it is just stupid.

____________________________

Toll Booth Serial Killer Update:

Going through the toll booth today, I see him. That damn tan ball cap gives him away every time.

“Oh, I’m so glad to see you this morning. You look beautiful as always,” he says.

Shit. He is actually starting to remember me! It’s only a matter of days now until I disappear, I just know it.

“Um, thanks,” I reply and drive away.

Another opportunity wasted…..

8 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

you can clean a humidifier with white vinegar or peroxide. also, use distilled water in your humidifier and it won't get the deposits that tap water leaves.

good luck with psycho killer toll booth guy.
http://www.vintagevantage.com/uploads/floatupdude.jpg

10:58 AM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Yeah, I'd stick with the white vinegar. There's got to be something to the little warning on the bleach's label...you know: "Use only in a well-ventilated area."

~Kurt

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the white vinegar and stick the bleach back in the laundry room.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Sherri,

I'm chuckling here...your poor husband.

Reminds me of the time my mom read in a magazine that the way to remove coffee stains from those 70's era plastic coffee cups was with bleach. My dad, who has apparently inherited his olfactory system from the canine branch of the family, took a sip of his morning brew, frowned and said, "I smell bleach."

Another sip, while my mother quietly explained that she'd soaked the cups in bleach to remove the coffee stains.

I'd never seen a spit take before, and have never seen a better one since.

~Kurt

P.S. Vegas party pics. Alright!

12:44 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

When we clean the coffee pot at work we use a little CLR and water. Then run through another pot of clean water to rinse. And I'd concur on the vinegar thing too.

Hey - at least he offered to clean it!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the first time I'm going to chime in, since by this entry it would appear that I must have taken the short bus as a child. For the record, the humidifier holds 1.5 gallons of water and I only used a capful of bleach. Surely a little bleach in the air was better than the slime that was growing on the inside being mistiefied and sent into our lungs nightly. I was trained to clean in the Navy...where the same "bug-juice" that we drank with meals every day was the same stuff we used to clean the brass on the fire stations. So what's a little bleach in the lungs.

signed,
the husband

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was using a humidifier and cleaning it every night with bleach.....washing the bleach out...but the filter can absorb the bleach. Have been doing this for one month now because I had broncitis...It began getting worse. I had horriable coughing and bronchial spasms for a month. I was put on antibiotics and then on prednisone. I have had terriable mucous in my bronchial tubes and nasal passages. Woke up this morning and had a horriable headache. I could'nt breath out of my nose...Finally took nasal decongestants and used a neti pot . Finally I could breath out of my nose and all I could smell was bleach.....How stupid of me using bleach.....I am almost sure the bleach is the very thing that has been causing all of my problems......Never use bleach in a humidifier !!!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleach in the air with is what the military used when they had to shut down and sanitize the monkey lab in Reston VA. You may remember the incident; where the monkeys contracted the ebola virus or something very similar. Early 90's I believe. The monkeys were destroyed in the dead of night.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.