Monday, August 22, 2005

Writer - Unblocked

I haven't written much in the past few weeks. Things have been really chaotic as you can tell if you read the blog regularly. I thought I didn't have anything to say, but I realized that I did....I just had lost my way to say it. I'll explain.

I had a routine with my blogging. I would get to work around 7am. The office would be deserted and dark. I would get a cup of coffee and in the darkness turn on my computer screen. Then in the few stolen minutes of the morning I would pour out my thoughts and turn it into a daily entry that I hoped would be entertaining and informative. I didn't realize that this was like therapy to me until I lost my job. When I lost my job I lost my routine. I lost the quiet and the calmness of the morning.

I had much more time to write in the last few weeks, but I didn't have the routine. I didn't have the atmosphere and familiar environment. I realized that I had a lot to say still as I was lying in bed one night and realized I was reviewing what I would write the next morning, except there would be no next morning at my job to go to. So I didn't write.

But now I have a new job. Even though I am not blogging there (it's still a little too new to do that...give it a few weeks) I still feel like now I can write again. I didn't realize how much my job loss affected me. I really felt betrayed by the people I worked with. I felt like they threw me away like I didn't matter and I didn't have anything to offer.

But now I have a new job.....and what a job it is!

Today was my first day. Let me give you a comparison. I came from a cubicle environment at the job I left. There were gray felt walls, commercial grade carpet, motivational posters, and cranky, complaining staff. When I walked into my new office....that's right...I have an office....I was blown away.

My office is bigger than the entire first floor of my house....seriously. I have a seating area seperate from my desk. My desk is massive and made of a beautiful wood. Everything else is trimmed in marble. There are original paintings on the walls and sculptures on the tables. My boss and I share a private kitchen with a refrigerator stocked just for us. And speaking of my boss. He is soft-spoken and considerate. And according to everyone who works there....that's how he always is. No hidden tyrant or monster that will eventually sneak out.

And the problem with my last job....the one where they promised me that I would get to work on all kinds of HR projects and get experience. Well at my new job I am the benefits administrator.....just me. It's my job.

So there you go....it's been a good first day. I feel complete again. I feel that I have worth and am appreciated.

And the block is gone....I can write again.

So all in all I guess it's been a good day.

10 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Congratulations to you on the new job - I hope you just take off from there!

I know what you mean about the blogging being therapeutic. Even though I don't always have much relevant to report, it feels good to be writing at all.

Glad you're back to a sort of routine. :-)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Ladyred said...

Change is often uncomfortable but always for good. I myself am having photographer's block (I doubt it's a word but I made it up haha) so I can relate to your temporary lack of routine. I too need a routine to do certain things. Even though I love photography, I need some guidelines to work by or I get distracted and do other non-productive things. Boy I have a wandering mind hahaha. Glad you had a wonderful first day! I cannot wait until I start my college experience (full time, no job, SCARY, but a necessity!). Look forward to more posts when you can!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I am so glad your first day was great! You deserve the big office, the desk, the marble....all of it! Wish for me that kind of luck for tomorrow, my first day!

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations !

10:36 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Welcome back! Hooray! Thank goodness for routines, I feel the same way about my blog.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blah,blah,blah!
Need something theraputic? Sounds like you have plenty of room in your nice big office for a couch to plant your ass on while your soft spoken boss listens to your daily crisises.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone's bitter with their own life methinks.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

anonymous: jealous?

crystal: Were you refering to anonymous? I think so too. :)

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure was Sherri. Sounds downright disgruntled if you ask me!

10:19 AM  
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Congrats on the milestones!

I know what you mean by a blog routine, especially if you've developed an addiction like I have! :(

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.