Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Next Open Door

I mentioned the quote “when one door closes another opens” to The Mad Hoosier yesterday and told him that I had a post that relates to that.

Well, here it is.

It’s amazing that when things are their bleakest and you think there is no hope that all of a sudden you realize that you may actually be in a better place. Sometimes it takes a difficult situation to push you to make a change, a change that can better your life, but one which you would have never even tried or considered without the adversity and pain.

As I mentioned in earlier posts I was moving to Florida. Circumstances have presented themselves that are going to make that move unnecessary. I am staying in Pennsylvania. But I gave my notice at my job last Thursday. Dilema? Quandry? Uh…yeah.

So I go to my boss, who I have this wonderful working relationship with, (or so I thought) and ask to keep my job. I didn't think it would be that much of an issue because I wasn’t leaving for another job, I was leaving because I was moving. I figured since they hadn’t even started interviewing candidates and he told me how sorry he would be to see me go that it wouldn’t be a problem, right? Wrong.

He said, “I would love to have you stay, but I would need to know that you are fully engaged and committed.”

Um….okay. I told him I would be.

He said, “I’ll have to think about it, we’ll talk about it more later.”

Um….okay. How much later I wondered?

The next day HRBiatch calls me in her office. “Please close the door”, she says. Uh oh. That’s never good.

Let me preface this by saying that I have only been given positive feedback about my job performance. There has never been any indication that I have been lacking in any area and have actually been pulled aside and praised at times for specific accomplishments.

HRBiatch starts with, “Your boss wanted me to just touch base with you and see where your at right now at what your intentions are.”

Duh. I am not moving and would like to keep my job. As simple as that. Thought we went over this?

Then she says, “You see you represent his office and we have to determine what is best for the company. People already know you were leaving and many know why. It may not look good if we let you stay. We’d be setting a precedence.”

Yeah. But it wasn’t like I left for another job. What about looking at each individual situation and making a decision? Geesh!


Then she says, “You have done an excellent job. There have been no complaints. But I am disappointed in how you let some things go and don’t follow through.”

What!!!??? YOU are disappointed? Huh?

“What do you mean? In what areas?” I ask confused.

“Well, you have really let up on the party planning. It just seems like you got a little frustrated with that,” she said.

I can’t believe this. Party planning? That’s not even part of my job. I went out of my way to organize a few events to build staff morale. She’s pointing out party planning? Why are we having this conversation?

Then she talks about how I am underutilized and that I should really try to take on more projects.

Um….I have a Master’s degree in HR but minimal experience. When HRBiatch hired me she lured me into this position with the promise of all the projects I would get to work on and all the HR experience I would receive. She talked about how it would be a great stepping stone for my career.

I have been asking her for 9 months for projects. I have yet to receive one. This is somehow my fault?

And here's the kicker....

I can even understand that they may want to have an across the board policy that if you give notice that's it...done. That's fine. But all this HR bullshit and subterfuge? Come on. Grow up boss....have the balls to just tell me. You are a "C" level executive. You can't handle a little conflict with your assistant?

And HRBiatch? Come on. You and I know each other personally. Do you really think I believe that you have my best interest at heart when you become an HR robot and lose all signs of humanity right in front of me?

I'm a professional people. Show me a little respect and just lay it out on the table. Pack up the bullshit and move on!

So to end our conversation she mentions that my boss hasn’t decided if I am going to be able to stay but he will let me know when he returns from his vacation on the 15th. Well that’s just 2 weeks before my notice runs out. What do they expect me to do? Wait to hear from then and get dumped and not have a job?

Screw ‘em.

I already have an interview tomorrow for a much better job. I also have leads from 4 agencies and the opportunities are piling up. And the salaries are higher.

So as this door closes I am going to leap through the open one ahead.

Suck it HRBiatch! HA!

9 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Hoosier said...

I love it...I thought you were going to slam the notion of, "When one door closes, another opens"...to be honest I didn't have anything specific to come back with if you were going to knock the saying.

But you surprised me and are a living example for saying. I hope that everything goes very well.

I wanted to be in HR at one point, but I got frustrated with the profession's unwavering devotion to company with ill-regard to the people of the company...you know...the HUMAN aspect of the RESOURCES of the company.

Good Luck with your job hunt. I am sure you will find something better soon.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Gotta love it, it sounds just like a relationship with a man!

Good luck with the job hunt, maybe youw ill be better off without that job after all and you don't realize it until you find something better.

9:30 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

This change was meant to be. Everything happens for a reason. Does that HR person even have a degree? Sounds really unprofessional to make accusations and have nothing to back it up. Mabye she's jealous that you're moving on and she's stuck there!

Go get 'em tiger!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I'm sorry all this is happening at once for you - but how great to have these other opportunities, and how inspiring to think they might have been there all along... makes me consider checking to see what's out there instead of staying in place, like I'm doing. Not that you WANTED the tectonic shift in your life, but if it's for the better...

Hang in there!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Yep, that's pretty unprofessional. The only criticism she can come up with is that you've slacked off on the unrequired things? There's an old truism: "Do someone a favor once, and it becomes your job."

Several years ago, I did someone a favor at work because it was mutually beneficial. When I became a contractor, they couldn't BELIEVE I wouldn't continue to do the same extra work (which by then amounted to 50+ hours of overtime a month) without getting paid for it. We got a contract in place, and every year in June, now, we have to start the four-month process of explaining what it is that we do. HELLO! YOU ASKED ME TO DO THIS.

They're cancelling the contract in October...but not the requirement. Should be interesting.

~Kurt

10:22 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

When I was leaving my job (5 blissful years ago), I had to go speak with our HR Mangager. I had been having conflicts with the Customer Service Manager (ahem *dickhead* cough). Because I was not a manager of any dept. she actually told me that since HE was a manager she would have to support him and that I should just go eat a brownie!!! As if I was just hormonal from pms.
And talk about doors opening ~ my last day of work one of my customers called me and offered me a SWEET freelance consulting job which I am still doing 5 years later.
Sherri, it's like Bruce Lee says "be like water" ~ You are a survivor and can adapt and will move on to bigger and better things.

1:19 PM  
Blogger The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

Fuck the corporate slime!

2:34 PM  
Blogger The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

anyway...Thank you for the comments. I posted one last story for the road. I was going to post it tomorrow.... I figure it's a good one for my very last. It's a fuuny one.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ladyred said...

thanks for stopping by! sorry bout the closed post, i just figure i'm not very good at poetry and wasn't up to any negative feedback but it is open now.

thank you for sharing. i myself will be making a move (leaving a full time job to finish school full time) and it's scary. this door opened when i got laid off my last job. so now that i like this new job i'm in i get accepted into art school. it was a dilemma but i need to do this or i never will.

good luck on the interviews! seeing as they don't have anyone in contention i'm wondering if they are just stalling or will try to cut your responsibilities/pay because that's just a load of hooey what they had to say! in my opinion hehe!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.