Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I wanted to talk about so many other things today, but I have been sucker punched by Hurricane Katrina.

Not even 2 years ago I lived in Ocean Springs, MS. It's about 4 miles east of Biloxi. I worked in Biloxi only 2 blocks off of Highway 90 which is the road that runs directly along the coast. I don't have any family there but I do have some friends.

I don't know how they faired. All I can hope is that they are safe. I am assuming their entire lives have changed.

This post isn't about a pity party for me because I have everything to be thankful for. I have a roof over my head, a job to pay the bills and my family will be here with me tonight, safe.

I can't imagine the devastation of losing your home, your job, your car, all of your personal belongings and maybe even your loved ones. The damage is so extreme that I'm sure we won't even know the total effects for days or weeks.....or even longer.

I see at this as a wake up call for all of us to once again take a look at what's important in our lives. It's so easy to forget. There are moments in time when we take heed.....September 11th, the tsunami, war in Iraq, and other catastrophic events.

I'm going to try once again to appreciate what I have daily and be thankful for the little things. The smile of my child, the joy of seeing a friend, the comfort of my home.

I urge all of you to give to the relief effort. Even if it's only $5. I'm going to donate. I don't know how much, it's never enough.....I'm not even sure what it will do, but at least I am taking some action and not doing nothing.

I hope you are all safe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

amen, sister! I will donate, too.

10:33 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

You are so right. I remember Andrew (and I'm sure you do too) and how depressing it all was to be anywhere close to it. I can only imagine how bad it is in MS and LA. All those people are in my prayers. I'm going to send you an article which will also make you appreciate what you have.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

P.S. I totally borrowed your post today and put it on my own blog. Can't hurt to get the word out there!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.