Thursday, July 28, 2005

She Just Can't Hold Her Liquor Anymore...

I would like to consider myself a social drinker......experienced in all the ins and outs of shots and shooters, mixed drinks and frozen, wine and beer. I mean...I DID go to college. Of course then I had kids....

I knew when I had kids that my life would change. I was fully aware of the responsibility involved. The diapers, the late nights.....the curbing of my social life. What I didn't count on was the "learning curve" to reaquire my once high-level "drinking status".

I flew to Florida on Friday night to visit some old friends in my hometown. We went back to their house to drop off my suitcase before going out.

"Let's have a beer before we go", my friend said.

"Sounds good", I replied.


We drank a beer. Oh it was good. Freedom, friends and beer. What more could a girl want?

Well apparently a shot of Jaegermeister and a Flaming Dr. Pepper.

....And 2 pitchers of beer.

....And a Red Snapper.

....And another beer after that.


5 hours later......

......as I lifted my head up off of the toilet seat I looked around. I had fallen asleep in the bathroom. I spent my first night of vacationing freedom throwing up. And the next 2 days hung over.

Sad, so very sad.

6 Comments:

Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Been there. Our tolerance levels are down. And I definitely cannot mix beer and liquor anymore. Not only will my head be pounding the next day - my hangover will be accompanied by a screaming 2 year old.

Being a grown up sucks.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one thing you should have learned in college was not to mix all those differnt types of drinks. In fact I think that was the most important thing I learned in college.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

I agree on the not mixing that many kinds of liquor thing, but now that I think about it I used to have beer, Irish car bombs, flaming doctor peppers, and all kinds of shots, especially jager, all on the same night. What happened? Why do I throw up sometimes and not others? I think you can either:

a) drink fast, or
b) drink different kinds of liquor, or
c) have a tolerance.

Pick a, b, or c.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it was the company.

9:49 PM  
Blogger The Mad Hoosier said...

I just hope that this...

'What I didn't count on was the "learning curve" to reaquire my once high-level "drinking status".'

...was a typo.

I am sure that your clarifying moment was not about reaquiring drinking habits.

Still wishing you all the luck in the world, but remember, however much freedom you are opening yourself up to from your previous situation, that still doesn't negate the fact that you are a role model to your kids.

Last time I checked, good role models steer clear from 2-day stints of hangovers...or means that took them to that point.

I speak from experience...I had one of those kinds of role models...even if we didn't live with that "role model" growing up...that "role model" is why I never have touched a drop of alcohol in my life, and never will.

I'm not trying to be judgemental...even though it may be coming off that way...I'm just hoping to make sure you aren't wasting your new found freedom. It really sounds like your freedom is a blessing...just make sure you show your kids the power of that kind of blessing.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Mad Hoosier: Thanks for the concern. This particular trip was a solo one without the kids. I tend to not drink at all around them....kid of the point of the comment "I knew when I had kids my life would change". This post was merely anecdotal....just tryin to be funny to lift the somber mood.

Thanks though... :)

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.