Monday, July 18, 2005

Nosey Old Guy

Isn’t it funny how small children and old people can get away with saying just about anything?

I was at K-Mart yesterday with my two children and my husband. My husband was looking at something to buy and I was standing with the kids and the shopping cart. I stretched my arms over my head and let out a big yawn. The baby didn’t sleep well the night before and I was tired.

An old man walked up to me and pointed his cane in my face.

“You should get more sleep and you wouldn’t be doing that,” he said.

“They keep me up at night,” I responded, pointing to the kids.

The old man gave a sly grin, and motioned his cane at my husband.

“Uh uh,” he replied, shaking his head. He pointed his cane at my husband.

“He’s the one keeping you up at night!”

Wow! Did that really happen? Did some old guy that I have never met before jab his cane in my face and talk about me and my husband having sex?

Guess some privileges come with age.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Yep. It's something to do with the blissful ignorance of actually being a child, or the intentional ignorance of being old, er, mature and prone to giving unsolicited advice.

There is a mature woman (about 75) who works at the grocery store near my office, who doesn't hesitate to scold me and other customers. I put a basket laden with baby food jars on the counter and she went off about how that basket could tip over and make a big mess. All I could think of was (a) OMG she's yelling at me! and (b) if she would just start ringing the jars up instead of lecturing me, they'd be safe in my bag instead of precariously inches from the edge of the counter...

She also stuffed all 100 jars into one plastic bag without double-layering it. As though to drive her point home about my potential insensitivity. I wished her a nice day, which went unreciprocated.

10:45 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

I am surrounded by rude old people all day long - and even worse - they have money, which obviously gives them license to call me names and belittle my existence. Ain't life grand?

My grandma always said, "If I get old, crotchety and mean like that, put a pillow over my face." She died last summer at age 90, sharp as a tack, and the picture of politeness and courtesy. I hope that "polite" gene stays with me that long!

11:18 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

I was at K-Mart (must be the hangout for old people) with my 4 year old. An old man was walking in front of us and let one rip and just kept walking without acknowledging it. My 4 year old laughs and points and yells "look mommy that man let a stinker" at the top of her lungs.
ah yes...kids and old people.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.