Saturday, May 14, 2005

What Motivates You?

It's funny what motivates us. In college I took "Psychology of Motivation" hoping to find out what makes us tick. All I got was a semester full of hypothalmus, instinct and many boring lectures. My professor could learn a thing or two from my Weight Watchers leader.

Yes, I had another weigh in today. Thankfully, this week there was no psychotic break in sight. The topic was motivation. The leader, in her always interesting way, reviewed ways to stay on track when the boredom of salads and steamed veggies are getting you down.

So the leader stands in front of the group and confesses that she cheats sometimes. She says that what gets her back in line is a little off beat but seems to work.

Apparently, she is concerned that when she cheats she might die while the offending food is still in her stomach, and during the autopsy she will be cut open and everyone will know that she cheated.

I assume that scene would go something like this:

Coroner: So this is the Weight Watchers leader, huh?

Assistant: Yeah, damn shame.

Coroner: Hey, I wonder what she ate for lunch?

Assistant: Let's find out.

(Assistant cutting into abdominal cavity and stomach.)

Assistant: Oh my God! It's a scandal! There's ice cream and peanut butter in here!

Coroner: What????!!! I'm so disillusioned!

Now I don't know about you. But for some reason that doesn't motivate me to stay on my diet.

I do find it comforting though, that there are people out there more insane than me!

1 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

If I thought I'd die, I would eat any damn thing I wanted. What motivates me (to stay on my diet) is trying on clothes ~ I really wonder why more women aren't found dead from suicide in dressing rooms.
I have been dieting for about 6 months now and the weight came off easy at first but I definitely hit the wall with eating lettuce and cucumbers and they make me want to gag now. I had a terrible pizza craving last night and told myself "NO" so when I survived that craving I went to Dairy Queen and had a blizzard (Ha, is it any wonder I only lose a half pound a week now).
When I was on weight watchers before my wedding 7 looong years ago, I lost 20 lbs (it was my goal) in about 3 months, eating a bagel with lo fat cream cheese and turkey and cucumber sandwich almost everyday ~ I think it was like 3 points and very filling. Also, sugar free jello with fat free cool whip ~ technically it has ZERO points.
I'm doing LA weight now and would NOT recommend it to anyone who has more than 20 lbs to lose. The diet is too hard to stick with long term.
good luck sherri, losing weight is hard and it sucks! shannon

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.