Friday, February 24, 2006

We've Come A Long Way!

1954 Popular Mechanics -



Text in picture:

Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year 2004. However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these probelms. With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the computer will be easy to use.

Ummm....I just want to know what the steering wheel is for? Explain that one.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see ya! Happy Friday!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean yours doesn't have a steering wheel? haha

11:46 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Ya, my home computer looks just like this (complete with console TV mounted near the ceiling). Ahoy there me hearties!!!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Photo is doctored, its not a computer, but of a maneuvering room aboard a Skate class nuclear submarine, the two wheels are for the shaft's, for RPM. The printer in the front is cut and pasted over a test board.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Damn anonymous! You ruined my fun. I should have known something was up when this picture reminded me of the Dharma video from Lost!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was gonna say the same thing that anonymous did. it was a worth1000 thing a while back. managed to fool a big magazine too (popular science maybe?).

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason why I knew what it was is because I served onboard a Skate class SSN. The USS Swordfish SSN-579. Sorry about ruining the fun.

4:10 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Sherri, you think "anonymous" is that guy you dated from that sub?
Ah memories... tee hee.

1:22 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

Sherri, sorry but the other anonymous is right.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

So you know, I'm not Slea, but another user in the household, just call me "Gab".

9:58 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I immediately wondered about the steering wheel too! It's actually the first Nintendo (Mario Kart, you know).

11:03 AM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Sherri,

You can see a picture of the ACTUAL computer from 1954, the UNIVAC I here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIVAC_I

~Kurt

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.