Friday, January 20, 2006

TV Is Rotting My Brain

Why do I watch stupid television shows? Why? At the time I’m watching I think to myself, “This is completely ridiculous!” Yet I still watch.

Example:

Invasion

Sorry to those of you who like this show. I like this show, but it is stupid.

On the last episode one of the characters was talking to his current wife. She was upset because he had been spending too much time with his ex-wife. Here’s his explanation.

“Honey, it’s not what you think. I’ve been spending this extra time with Mariel because Tom may not be human anymore. When his plane crashed the things in the water attacked him and changed his genetic code. Now Mariel is one of them too, but she is fighting it. I’m trying to help her, for the kids’ sake. These hybrids have been known to kill. She needs my help.”

WHAT??!!!

Here’s the stupidity. If I knew my husband was attacked by aliens and he was no longer human and there was a history of these hybrid beings killing their children I wouldn’t be hanging around. Sorry honey.

And how did the actor even get that out with a straight face? How many takes did they have to do? I would have been like, "Listen. Mr. Director. I can't say this. This is just really stupid. I know you're paying me and all, but man.....what the hell were the writers thinking?"

Okay, next show….

Skating with Celebrities


Yep. I watched it. Why? Not really sure. Maybe it was that ‘looking at a train wreck’ mentality. Here’s the really sad part. Most of these people could barely skate. At times there were arms flailing and feet shuffling and looks of horror across the celebrities’ faces but yet, when it was all over, the judges said, “Great job. That was really entertaining.”

WHAT??!!!

No. No it wasn’t. Here’s what I would have said if I where the judge:

“Todd Bridges, what the hell made you think you could skate? At least Jillian Barberi skated as a child and if nothing else we can look at her boobs. But you, what have you got to offer? That sucked. I was embarrassed not only for you but your family. Seriously. It was just sad. And since when does being in a 70’s sitcom make you a celebrity? (turning to the producers) How deep in the barrel did we have to go before we got him? Why the hell did you think this was a good idea? What the hell am I doing here? I’m out. (storming off the set)

Well, actually, I would have never agreed to be on that show. But if I had I would have said that.

And you’re wondering if I’ll be watching next week.

Ummm……

*hanging head*

Yes.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen either of those shows. My guilty pleasure is my soaps (who came up with Soapnet? I'd like to shake their hand...). Other than that, King of Queens, The Office, The Family Guy and that new show with Henry Winkler and Rizzo from Grease pretty much sums up my primetime viewing.

9:03 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

Aw, I thought Todd Bridges did good. His performance was entertaining though he was shakey. I was proud of him and he took the criticism with a laugh. Why the Hell would we want to watch if they were all good?
I will definitely watch next week.

I've never seen Invasion but I do watch Surface. I agree it is stoopid but once you start to watch you have to see it through. dammit.

ps. todd bridges is way more of a celebrity than jillian barberi. of course i am a child of the 80's.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I don't watch much TV, except for documentaries. I'm such a loser. I will watch for 8 days straight if it is a marathon of sea-life stuff.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with shows like Arrested Development, Family Guy, House, The Office. . . those are more of MY reality!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I love The Office. It is absolutely my favorite show on television.

12:21 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Man, I hope another network picks up Arrested Development. I need my weekly fix! - and The Office is my other favorite. I gotta check out this skating show though. I'm sure I'd pity them like Princess. You wanna see something sad? Check out Master P on dancing with the stars. Why did he even agree to go on it?

Hey, your message board bleeped out the word "DAMN"... some people are so touchy...

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

What was that about the boobs again?

7:03 PM  
Blogger ThatGirlTam said...

I don't get to watch a lot of TV...but when I do, reality tv is getting lower on my list of "things to watch" - I tried to watch the American Idol auditions the other night and it made my head hurt.

Nip/Tuck and The L Word - ROCK!!

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skating with the celebrities? I had no idea there was such a show! And yet, I think this could be a wildly successful vein that Hollywood could follow, just to show how celebrities also have their shortcomings in life; I'm thinking specifically of shows like:

"Doing basic math with Celebrities"
"Cooking a simple meal with Celebrities"
"Riding mass transit with Celebrities"
or
"Trapped in the real world with Celebrities"

Yeah, some train wrecks are just more entertaining to watch than others.

Congrats on the 10,000 mark; I know I've enjoyed reading your posts!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.