Monday, October 17, 2005

IIF's

I’ve always been the type of person who has no difficulty making friends. I tend to be outgoing and invite new and different situations into my life. I enjoy change, like a challenge and have no problem with conflict and controversy.

While all of this makes me sound like a confident and sophisticated person with friends galore, it’s also somewhat of a lie. You see, my long list of acquaintances is just that….acquaintances. Most of my relationships are highly superficial.

I have a handful of friends that I would give up everything for. Truly. I have hundreds of acquaintances that I care about, but probably don’t really know them and they don’t really know me.

That’s why I like having my IIF’s so much (Imaginary Internet Friends).

I think that some of you probably know me much better than most of the people I work with and interact with everyday, maybe even better than some of my friends.

There’s something very real about writing, something that transcends a conversation. I don’t really know why that is. You would think that you could see right through someone when they are standing in front of you. But most of us are on guard when face to face with another. In that situation there is the fear of being hurt and rejected.

Writing is an outlet, a release. We can put emotion on the page and move on with life. In some ways I think it’s therapy.

Thank you to all my internet friends. You have made this blog so much more than it was ever intended to be.

I wonder….do any of you ever worry about someone you converse with on a blog? Or maybe see something on TV and think, “Wow…so and so would really like that?”

I do.

Funny, huh?

4 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

Sherri,

Do I worry about any of my Imaginary Internet Friends?

You know I do.

Yeah...I think we all need to connect with each other. It's part of being human.

It's nice to know such good people are out there.

~Kurt

1:01 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I constantly check on my favorite bloggers. When they don't post, I go nuts, picturing them in some sort of IIT (imaginary internet trouble).

BTW, you're one that I check on....

3:39 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Yes, I definitely relate to you here. I was driving home in just the best mood yesterday - no particular reason, just nice weather, baby was in a good mood, etc - and I was happy to be writing again (not just on the blog), and I included my handful of IIFs as a reason for my happiness, too. And I do actually think of you when I'm having my trying mommy moments - I think, well Sherri's out there somewhere, living this too! :-)

I'm glad to know you!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Ladyred said...

I enjoy reading your blog when I can. I myself seem to be the opposite of you. I do not make friends easily and I do not have a system of acquaintenances (I used to think that was lack of confidence but I simple am not into superficial relationships and have trust issues haha). But what I do have are a handful of extremely close friends that I would give and do anything for and vice versa. I always struggled with that (I'm a Libra and 'supposed' to be a social butterfly?) but I'm learning to deal with the fact that it takes me a while to warm up to people. I find writing here and having IIF helps me to I guess be a little more outgoing in my 'physical' world. I do have some IIF that I've met and they are great too and we still talk. love the virtual pet! you seem like a very confident and easygoing person which are great qualities to have.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.