Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Why I Don't Want EZ Pass

I take the turnpike to work and have to stop when I get on to get a ticket and stop when I get off to pay the toll. I've been told by several people that I should get EZ Pass. If you don't already know, EZ Pass is a device that you put on your windshield and it automatically pays your toll from a credit card or your bank account.

Here's why I don't want it.

1. While it may be more convenient it would completely eliminate my need to scrounge in my car for loose change. It is absolutely amazing how many items I find in my car this way. I found a pair of sunglasses that I thought I had lost a year ago and don't even get me started on rogue french fries (I blame the kids).

2. EZ Pass would eliminate the fear of the possibility of some transient homeless person car-jacking me as I pay my toll on a deserted stretch of highway at 1am in the morning. I mean, really.....who doesn't love that thrill.

3. I would definitely have less contact with potential serial killers.

4. I wouldn't be able to tell you the story of my toll booth experience from last night.

I was on my way to a Phillies game. I was in a hurry because for the first time in my life I had tickets for a suite. I was frazzled, running late, and driving like a maniac. When I stopped to pay my toll the toll taker said, "Have a peaceful night."

Kinda odd, huh?

I have heard, "Have a good day", "Thanks", and even been grunted at by a toll taker (is that the PC job title?), but I have never been told, "Have a peaceful night." In fact, I don't think anyone has ever told me that. So while I was mulling it over I saw a hand-written sign on an exit sign. It said, "Repent to Jesus."

Shit.

My mind started on one of its weird tangents.

What if the toll taker was really from God and he used the word "peaceful" to get my attention and then the repent sign was a way to tell me to take stock of my life, etc.?

Okay, I know.....I'm a little weird. But just in case I said a little prayer and slowed down.

See. EZ Pass definitely wouldn't be this fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger PreppyGirl said...

I am like you. Seems like everything is a sign - and even if it isn't it doesn't hurt to treat it as such. ;)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

You sound so much like me and my rationalizations. :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I agree...EZ pass takes the fun out of it all.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Mr. Social said...

The only "SIGNS" that I never think of as "SIGNS" are actual signs. Can you imagine? Everytime you pull up to one of those red octagons, wondering if the almighty powers are telling you to, "Cut It Out!" I suppose there could be an upside to believing signs are "SIGNS". For example... "Behold! Jesus wants me to buy a 9 inch Turkey Sub!" or even "The Holy Spirit commands me to enter the ALL LIVE - ALL NUDE house of worship!"

4:14 PM  
Blogger princess slea said...

well...I saw the sign, when I opened up my eyes I saw the sign.

4:23 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

ok-so sometimes my alein people at first are serial killer types. I read your spooky killer stare story.(say that 10 times fast)

You never know who you are going to rum into. Just be safe little mama!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.