Monday, July 11, 2005

High Gas Prices Are Gettin' Me Down

Gas prices……gas prices.

What do I say about gas prices?

I was driving to work this morning (on autopilot due to a drunken weekend away, and getting home around 11pm the night before – but that’s another story…) and saw that gas in my area is up to $2.40 a gallon for the cheap stuff.

All I can say is thank God I passed on the Tahoe and went for the minivan. Didn’t really want the minivan, but finally I made a responsible decision that is paying off. Go me! (Hey, I don’t make many responsible decisions that pay off….so let me gloat a little will ya?)

I was thinking how insane gas prices are when I saw in the distance a Citgo sign. Gas - $1.38 a gallon. What??? Ohmigod! That is so awesome.

My heart was beating fast….I was excited! Then I saw it. The gas station. It was abandoned; the pumps were old and rusty. There were overgrown weeds everywhere. It was hard to determine where the grass ended and the blacktop began. The windows of the falling down building were boarded up. Damn!

I mean, come on Sherri….how long has it been since gas was $1.38 a gallon? But I had wanted to believe it. Oh well. Then in a brief cosmic alignment, the DJ on the radio began to talk about gas prices. (I love it when that happens, don’t you? Makes me feel like the whole world is thinking what I’m thinking.)

The topic was about how it’s going to cost more to go on summer road trips due to the increase in gas and how the cost is going to continue to increase due to Hurricane Dennis. Then the DJ goes…..I just don’t understand the correlation between hurricanes and gas prices. Really? Really?? Are you stupid? Um….hurricanes that hit the Gulf of Mexico stop oil production on all the oil rigs in the Gulf. You know….those little platform looking things sitting on the water?

I don’t know….it just seemed like a stupid comment to me. But I am tired and pissy this morning. How are you?

8 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Again, sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays! Welcome to my world, too.

It's funny, I too was looking at $2.38 for cheap gas as the news about it came on the radio. I can't bear to put more than $10 at a time in the tank, because I keep hoping that by the NEXT time I need gas, the price will have lowered and I'll be able to say "Ha HA, it's a good thing I didn't fill up when it was $.05 higher. I just saved m'self $0.30! Woo-hoo!"

Have a good day :-)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I always have a case of the Mondays....or whatever day just happens to be the first day of my work week! Can't help it.....I just love the weekends.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like, omygosh, all the oil in the entire world, like, comes from Iraq. And maybe Saudi Arabia... but we don't produce any oil at all. You and your silly ideas!

Actually, W is raising the price and pocketing the difference because Cheney told him to invest in Halliburton and Enron and that failed. I know the real truth. You see, I went to this meeting this weekend ... and now I have this person following me around all the time...

-R

8:11 AM  
Blogger princess slea said...

On Friday I needed gas and had to drive to a town about 45 miles away. I had about a sixteenth of a tank (I drive a Durango). I drove past a local gas station and it was $2.19, there is a gas station in the other town that for the last week was $2.06 so I decided to risk it and go without filling up. I get there and gas was $2.35!! Oh fudge. I decide I can make it back home, when I get home I go to the station and it is $2.29 now!!! Ahhhh, I just can't win.
My friend who is with me says try the one by my house. So I drive a few blocks and it is $2.20 there, I fill up. I drive to the grocery store and on my way back (literally 15 minutes later) gas at that station is up to $2.30.
WTF?

8:11 AM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Ya the gas thing is messed up! My hubby drives by a travel plaza on his way to work... which on Saturday was $2.25... but has probably gone up since then. Thank God he can get gas a little cheaper since he drives 100 miles round trip each day. We trade cars every few days so he can fill up there. WTF is right. I can't believe this sh*t. We're thinking about going diesel but I'm not sure that's much better.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Out in town, we've seen prices over $3.00 a gallon for quite a while now...went down for a bit, but still...I buy on base, where it's $0.20 cheaper.

I console myself with the knowledge that airplane fuel is around $4.75 a gallon now. So that Beechcraft I've been wishing I owned would cost $1942.08 to fill up from a quarter tank.

Somehow, $35 at the pump doesn't seem so bad.

~Kurt

11:29 AM  
Blogger MC said...

I actually just cleaned out my car (it's a pit) to try to make it lighter to get better gas mileage...however, I am unwilling to give up my air conditioning because it is HOT here in PA!

As an aside, I love that you talk about your love of Dubya so often...I thought I was one of the only Bloggers for Bush out there, but it's nice to see that you are one too!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Just an addendum to the post:

I filled up my tank today and it was $41.00. Geesh!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.