Thursday, July 07, 2005

Terrorists Suck

Today I am angry. Angry and sad. I hate to see that another terrorist attack is happening. Today it’s London. Where will it be tomorrow?

I ponder over how so many people think that the war in Iraq is useless. How our efforts at eliminating terrorists and bringing peace to the world may seem futile and pointless. I believe it is worthwhile. I believe we have to take whatever actions we can, however unpopular, to rid the world of evil.

Others say, well why don’t we go in where the real terrorists are? Find Bin Ladin? Um…..guess what people? We’re doing that. You may not see it on the news because a lot of these operations are undercover. Remember the Army Rangers and Navy Seals? Yeah….we really don’t publicize their movements. Kinda lessens the surprise.

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein.

Thanks, Al…..you are so right.

We have to all do something….but what can we do?

I look at myself, a working mom….driving a minivan, living in the United States. Not really one to conquer the axis of evil. But I can make changes in my life and help those in my immediate area. One thing I can do is not contribute to the problems that plague our society. Things as simple as road rage and lack of common courtesy. I am guilty. (More than I care to admit.)

I was listening to a radio broadcast this morning about what is happening in London. One news anchor made the comment that civilians were carrying wounded to get them medical attention. Hmmm….? We band together during adversity, but hate each other when things are fine. So, basically….I’ll help you if your leg gets blown off by a terrorist’s bomb, but I am NOT going to let you cut in front of me in traffic.

Seems pretty inconsequential doesn’t it?

I don’t know where this is going. I may be rambling a bit. I guess I just want to say that we have to continue to take action to make the world a better place for all. It’s necessary. And if, like me, your feeling a little helpless…..try brightening up your little section of the world with a smile or a kind word. You’ll be amazed how far it can go.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Just posted about this a minute ago, though your feelings sum mine up quite eloquently. I am thankful for our troops 'over there' (not just in Iraq but in the many other places we may NOT know about) to keep this crap from our own towns. What sickens me about the media is that they only report the negative (I know this is flogging a dead horse), never the positive. For the one attack that gets through our security, there are probably hundreds of others that were thwarted.

Anyway, you're right about the small bits of kindness we could be parceling out right here at home. It's so simple. It doesn't cost a thing to just smile at someone, let someone out in front of you, all the other tiny simple acts of common courtesy that have fallen by the wayside. Thanks for your post :-)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, if I really posted on my blog what I thought of the terrorists I'd probably get a lot of flack but you said enough for both of us! : )

9:48 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

so true...well said

1:11 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Great observations, Sherri. Sorta puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Here's a thought: I just got a phone call from a coworker who's out of town on business...where he is, they've locked the base down for security reasons, and he wondered if we were doing the same thing. Not as far as I know...

Here's something you can do: observe everything, no matter how insignificant. If it seems out of place, report it. Some months ago, I passed a semi parked along the fenceline of the base I work at...not really a big deal before 9/11, but let's go back to the Khobar Towers attack several years ago. That was accomplished by an explosives-laden semi parked next to the fence, and it killed 19 US service members. So, our security folks went out and surrounded the truck...turned out that the driver had arrived earlier than the gates allow delivery vehicles through, so he opted to catch a little sleep before driving in. He'd been there for nearly two hours, and I was the first person to report his presence...scary.

It isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you.

~Kurt

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great post. Your "rambling" was really great. Take care.

3:44 PM  
Blogger DayDreamer said...

Amen.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to see people out there that truly see that we ARE doing good with our fight against Terror and in Iraq.

My observation is that people with kids seem to have the same attitude, or at least a majority of them not living in Hollywood do. That's not to say that people without families don't care, or are incapable or having those feelings of supporting our cause. It just seems to me that those with kids look at their children and can feel in their heart that their child has a better chance to live in a better world without Saddam Hussein in it.

Regardless of your position on the Iraq war...you CAN'T DISPUTE that he was a horrible person...killing his own people without cause. You CAN'T DISPUTE that he HATED the United States. And you would have to be naive to think that he wouldn't have jumped at the chance to enact some Spetember 11th type of action against us if he had the means to.

We stopped him before it ever got that far...and every day that I look at my daughters, I thank the Lord that they now live in a safer world. NOT safe...but safer.

Anyway...sorry to ramble as well...I don't have my blog up and running yet. Great post, and like you, my heart goes out to everyone in England and to Tony Blair, who will almost certainly fall under further scruitiny for this.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.