Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Dear Northern Drivers

It appears we have a little problem. First let me say that, yes, it’s true that I am new to the North.

(Which was so blatantly pointed out to me yesterday by the gentleman who walked up to me at the gas station as I was shivering while pumping gas, pointed to my Florida plates and said, “Sure isn’t Florida, huh?” and then proceeded to walk off delivering to anyone in a 5 mile radius a cackle that was eerily reminiscent of Vincent Price in Thriller).

And being new to the North I will not claim to know everything about driving in snow. But people…..come on! If you have lived here for more than one winter you know that it is completely ridiculous that 3 days after a snow storm for the top of your car to still be covered with 4 inches of snow.

While this may not inconvenience you, it is quite possibly an inconvenience to me. First, I sincerely love being pelted by the snow that is so happily blowing off the roof of your car providing me with my very own personal blizzard on the way to work. Did you know that when it’s 15 degrees out that even if you are lucky enough to have wiper fluid that isn’t frozen, as soon as you try to clean your windshield little ice crystals form impairing your vision even more?

And you know what I like better than the “Made for Sherri mini-blizzard”? That would be when a giant chunk of ice rockets off the top of your car, does a triple axel and then proceeds to SMASH into my windshield. I must say that the car I almost sideswiped during this fun surprise certainly enjoyed it as much as I did!

So go to Wal-mart or K-mart or wherever you shop and buy a long handled broom and clean off your damn car. Jackass.

~S

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ah feel yor pain!"

Ah Sherri, being at the other end of the country, but still putting up with snow for 8 months out of the year, I can relate!

And you're right about the mini-blizzards: People, if your have snow caked on your car, please clear it off before getting on the highway!

My personal favorites are the slush blasts kicked up from the other car's wheels as it passes you, and the people who think that snow on the road means you automatically slow down to 30mph.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. I have no comment. It's 71 today.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

No, see...and I can speak with authority on this because I grew up in New England...the snow on top of your car (cah...let's get the pronunciation right) is a Badge of Honor. It's called a "snowhawk" and it says, "I survived this mess with MINIMUM EFFORT."

Okay, I made that up about the snowhawk. But I'd make sure that the washer fluid in your car is up to the winter weather...should have some kind of solvent in it that works to prevent it from freezing. Don't use anti-freeze...just get a good methanol-based washer fluid.

~Kurt

4:06 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Kurt,

They LIE!!! The Washer Fluid People LIE! They say it's good until 20 below, but it's not. NOT!!

The stupid stuff froze in 20 degrees. Damn.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MC said...

I so feel your pain, an hour to your north. I love the big rigs that have these sheets of frozen snow/ice come catapulting off the tops of their trailers while driving along at 70 mph on the highway...I honestly close my eyes as a reflex and once in a while even throw my hands in front of my face. Yeah, I am a safe driver.

I usually just choose to scream profanity at the people who are too lazy to brush the snow off their cars.

And it doesn't matter what kind of fluid you have in your washer fluid tank. When it's -2 degrees when you get up in the morning, it refeezes...in pretty patterns right in your line of vision.

When is spring, again?

6:11 PM  
Blogger princess slea said...

Alright, I'm guilty. I actually prefer the "wind" method of snow removal. I hate snow. I hate the cold. And I especially hate the act of standing in the cold with a broom brushing snow off the top of my car which of course ends up down my sleeves and inside my coat. In fairness to me, I mostly try to not even leave the house in Winter and hibernate instead. As an added bonus, I don't scrape ice either. I start the car (have the husband start the car) with full heat and defrost for about half and hour before I need to leave. Any ice still left on the windshield and I just look around it until it melts.
I swear I am a good driver though, I don't use the cell phone EVER while I'm driving and I don't fidget with the radio or CD player AND I've never put makeup on while driving (I actually know for a fact women do this which is carazy to me).

9:41 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

When we had our "Winter Blast 2005" storm (term used loosely) here, my car was hit by a chunk of ice so large I thought the moon was falling from the sky.

(I tend to exaggerate, but I know what you mean anyway)

12:36 PM  
Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Hey girlie!

This is also a personal pet peeve of mine. Imagine how much snow I see on cars daily (living in the snow belt, and all). I realize some people are vertically challenged and this is a little tough for them, but let's face it - some people are just damn lazy and inconsiderate. Good luck on your commute home today!

Shame on you princess! Clean out your garage a little and you can park in there (this saves me every day!) Thank God for my Garage!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gah! no brooms. get a damn snow brush and keep it in your trunk or your back seat. they make them. of course, people who can't brush off their car prolly don't know about that.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.