Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Piggy Back Police

So, once again I have been neglecting my blog. I know all three of you that read this are disappointed in me. (Okay, maybe 4 of you).

Anyway, my parents were in town this weekend. As you can see in the previous post, Matthew turned 1 this weekend. But I won’t bore you with the things you aren’t interested in. I know you all want to hear about how I embarrassed or hurt myself, right?

Well, I’m sorry to disappoint. But I will tell you about my brush with the law.

Well, not so much the law as security.

Well, not so much security as “museum attendant”.

I took my parents to the Philadelphia Museum of Art yesterday. My mom paints and I thought it would be something they would enjoy that also included air conditioning! It was about 95 degrees outside yesterday, so outside was out of the question!

So, we are in the museum and I brought my two children – ages 1 and 3. You know how kids are….into everything.

Charlie (age 3) is running and touching everything. Buzzers are buzzing, expensive vases are wobbling, sippy cups are flying, droplets of juice are jettisoned thorough the air. I see this all in slow motion as I stand powerless, unable to stop him due to the wiggling one year old in my arms.

Speaking of the one year old….there is a trail of snacks behind us in Hansel and Gretel-ish fashion. At least we won’t lose our way.

Now I understand that this isn’t appropriate for the art museum. Truly I do. And I would have never done this if my parents weren’t in town. But sometimes you have to do the unpopular.

So you think someone would have said something to us during this utter chaos and complete disregard for the valuable pieces in the museum, right? Nope.

You know what they were concerned with?

Apparently carrying your child piggy back is very dangerous.

Museum Attendant: Ma’am? For safety reasons please don’t carry your child on your back.

Me: Excuse me? What?

Museum Attendant: Please don’t carry your child on your back. Someone could get hurt.

Me: Um….okay.


I don’t know. Does this seem odd to you? I didn’t really think that a piggy back ride was dangerous.

Who knew?

5 Comments:

Blogger PreppyGirl said...

Dangerous to you or the kid? Maybe you should stick to a mode of transportation you're more familiar with... a shopping cart.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I guess losing priceless works of art is better than years of civil litigation...

Ah, America... land of the free, and people suing left, right and center. :)

No offense intended :)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

*centre

That was a typo...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I happened upon your blog and found it amusing.
Check out my blog....
http://tubbie.blogspot.com
-Carrie

8:37 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Andy,

Absolutely no offense taken. I completely agree with you.

:)

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.