Monday, June 20, 2005

Mean People and Brain Tumors

There’s a woman I know that I can’t stand. I mean she grates on my last nerve. She’s one of those people who is very self-important, always gossiping and will stab you in the back just as soon as look at you. Just the sight of her can ruin my day.

I had the “pleasure” of living across the street from her for about a year. Within twelve short months she spread rumors to all the neighbors about me and my husband and literally made us the neighborhood outcasts.

She told everyone that we were calling our neighborhood association complaining about noise (we didn’t) and that we were in meetings with the association president trying to get one couple evicted from the complex (we weren’t) and even went as far as calling the association and saying she was a friend of mine (she isn’t) and asked for information because she wanted to “help” me.

She sounds awful, right? The kind of person that you completely despise and wish bad things on…….

Well, she has a brain tumor.

That’s right….a big, spidery brain tumor that is taking over the left side of her brain and spreading around her ear. She used to always complain that her ear hurt.

When we heard the news I was with an old former neighbor of hers. His first comment was, “hmmm….maybe that’s why she was so mean.” Nice, huh? That’s just how bad she was (is).

So now I feel bad. Of course I didn’t cause this brain tumor, even with all my ill will. I have actually never even done anything to this woman except avoid her when I see her coming.

Why is it that we always feel sorry for people and want to do things for them when they are sick? I mean, even when they aren’t nice people? I guess it is just the humanity in us. I would like to think that we are all essentially good people. Even her. Maybe there are reasons that I just don’t know of or understand that could explain her busy-body behavior.

I don’t know. I just hope she will be ok.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

I think the concept of Karma is universal. The Bible teaches that we reap what we sow. The Lakota believe that one should think only constructive, positive thoughts because one's thoughts shape the world.

I think we feel sorry for people who are stricken like this woman because we sense the possibility that the same thing may happen to us. We all understand our own imperfections and worry about the consequences (and isn't not worrying about those consequences the definition of "psychotic"), so we try to avoid a similar fate by supporting the ones who suffer.

Of course, our motives aren't purely selfish...we all want to believe that everyone has the capacity for good, and we help in order to give opportunities for that goodness to show through.

~Kurt

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.