Monday, May 02, 2005

Missing Receipt

My conversation with Budget Rent - a - Car:


*Ringing*

"Thank you for calling Budget Rent - a - Car. How may I help you?"

"Yes, I need a receipt for xxxxxxx. Travel dates 4/20 - 4/22."

"I'm sorry. We don't do that here. You have to dial the local Budget office that the car was rented from."

"Oh, Ok. Thank you."


*Dialing Budget in North Carolina*

Automated Voice - "Thank you for calling Budget Rent - a - Car. Please press 1 for lost and found....2 for customer service..."

*pressing 2*

*ringing*

I hang up after 20 rings. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. (Getting irritated)


*Dial original number*

"Thank you for calling Budget Rent - a - Car. How may I help you?"

"Hi. I called earlier for a receipt and was told I had to call the local office. Well, I did that and no one answers."

"Oh. You don't have to call the local office. Call this 800 number (gives the number) and they can give you the receipt."

"Okay, thank you." (More irritated)


*Dialing new 800 number*

Ringing. Ringing. Ringing.

What the F...? (Officially pissed)


*Dial orginal number again*

"Thank you for calling Budget Rent - a - Car. How may I help you?"

"Yes, I called earlier for a receipt. Was told to call the local office where the car was rented but no one answered the phone there. I then called you back and was given a different 800 number to call, but no one answered there either. I need a receipt. Can you help me???"

"Actually ma'am, we do that here."

"WHAT....you..do..that..there???" (about to blow a gasket)

"Yes, ma'am. What's the confirmation number?"

(give the confirmation number)

"Oh, I'm sorry. I can't give you the receipt for that confirmation number. Since you have a high level corporate account you will have to call this number....."

(Officially Freaking Out....)

"So you're telling me that since we are such great, high-level customers you can't help me. Billy Bob from Hicktown, U.S.A. can call you and get a receipt but a corporate account that gives you thousands upon thousands of dollars of revenue a year has to call somewhere else???"

"Yes, ma'am. That's correct."

"So actually, you can't help me."

"Well I can give you the number ma'am."

"How about you dial the number and get me the damn receipt."

"I'm sorry ma'am. I can't do that."

"No, of course not."

*hanging up and dialing the other number*


Ahhh....don't you love being given excellent customer service? I mean really, who could ask for more?

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

I had a similar experience with the gas company several years ago.

When I moved into my apartment, utilities were included, but in lieu of a rent increase one year, my landlord decided to reduce his own administrative burden and simply transfer the gas and electric bills to the individual tenants.

Unfortunately, someone had mislabeled the laundry room gas meter with my apartment number. I should have known it would be a problem when I saw that the labeling was done in nail polish. I began getting billed for the gas used by the laundry room in a complex with 16 apartments. At first, I didn't notice. But then, I got a new girlfriend, and spent an entire month at her place...I'd stop home to check the mail, and make sure nothing had blown up, but basically, I wasn't living there. I should have had a very small gas bill. But no...I had an ENORMOUS gas bill. $60 that month.

I went and looked at the meter. Sure enough, the meter labeled with my apartment number had a pipe that went 60 feet down the building wall and entered the building just above the laundry room window. The meter labeled "laundry room" had a pipe that went six feet straight up and entered the wall a few feet below my kithcen window.

*ring*

Gas company rep: "Thank you for calling XXG&E, may I help you?"

Me: "You're billing me with the wrong meter."

GCR: "And how do you know this, sir?"

Me: "Because I traced the gas line from the meter to..."

GCR: "Sir, XXG&E is not responsible for where the gas goes once it leaves the meter." (No, I am not making that up.)

Me: "I understand that. I'm not asking you to be responsible for the gas after it leaves the meter. I'm asking you to bill me correctly for the gas I AM receiving."

GCR: "But how do you know you are being incorrectly billed?"

Me: "Because I traced..."

GCR: "Sir, the gas company is not responsible for the gas after it leaves the meter."

It took me several months of complaining before I finally got a rep who was a college student and clearly destined for much bigger things.

Smart GCR: "Thank you for calling XXG&E, how can I help you?"

Me: "You guys are still billing me for the laundry room's gas, and I need it to stop. I want to be billed only for the gas I use in my apartment please."

Smart GCR: "Certainly. How do you know you're being billed incorrectly?"

Smart GCR listened patiently while I explained the whole story.

Then she said: "Sir, if there's been an interruption in your gas service, I'm required to send a technician out immediately. Has your service been interrupted?"

Me: "Uh, no. It's just that..."

Smart GCR: "Well...and we're speaking PURELY hypothetically here...if you were to find the gas cutoff valve and turn it to the off position...that would be considered an interruption of service and I'd have to send someone out right away."

Me: "But I don't WANT to turn off the gas."

Smart GCE: "You don't ACTUALLY have to have an interruption. You only have to TELL ME that you have an interruption."

Me: "Ah. Well. I'll be darned. I can't seem to light my stove. The gas service must be temporarily interrupted."

Smart GCE: "I'll send someone right away. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

And wouldn't you know it, when the technician showed up, I showed her the meters and where the pipes go from the meters, and she says: "Sir, the gas company is not responsible for where the gas goes after it leaves the meter."

I ended up cutting off the gas to the meter labeled for my apartment, then taking her upstairs and showing her that my stove worked just fine.

"Huh," says she. "Will you look at that. The meters are mislabeled."

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.