Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Missing Pilot in Iraq

I have enjoyed the past few weeks of filling this blog with posts about funny things that happen at work or silly things my kids do. Those are major parts of my life. Unfortunately, very sad and serious events are part of it too.

Today there was an article on the Internet about a missing Marine pilot in Iraq. I am a military wife, worked for two years at a Naval and Marine Corp Training Squadron and just happen to have a good friend who's husband (also a friend) is a Marine pilot in Iraq. If you are familiar with the military, there are only so many Marine squadrons, and only so many of those squadrons in Iraq.

While I am a military wife, the war in Iraq is still very distant from me. My husband is currently stationed on shore duty in Pennsylvania where he works in the IT field. Even if he were transferred to a ship he would never be in Iraq. He would be floating in the Persian Gulf far from the fighting.

I guess my friend's wife must have felt the same way. Her husband flies jets. He flies too high for enemy missiles to reach him on recon missions. He takes some pretty pictures and flies back to the safety of the aircraft carrier. She probably felt pretty safe, like I do.

I don't know if the Marine who died is my friend. I am waiting like everyone else. Not wanting to make what can only potentially be a very clumbsy phone call and not knowing what to say, I just wait. And hope.

The truth is whether you are in Iraq, or safe here in Pennsylvania, you never know when your time is up. That is why I am reaffirming to remember what is important to me, family and friends, and let all of you know just how much I care about you.

I pray that you are safe Geoff, and if you are not, I pray that God will hold you in his hand.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoda said...

Well said, Sherri. Well said.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.